Perfume your house
Here’s a holiday potpourri recipe that simmers on the stove all day long. You can really use whatever you have on hand but the must-haves are cinnamon, citrus, ginger and vanilla.
Make your house smell like Christmas!
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 3 tangerines, halved
- 3 whole cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise (optional) gives a strong black licorice smell.
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger
- 1 vanilla bean + 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 small branch fresh pine
- 1 cup apple cider, pomegranate or cranberry juice
Combine all the ingredients in a medium size sauce pot. Fill the pot with water until it reaches 3/4 the way full. Place the pot on the stove and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, adding more water as needed. Let simmer for close to 4 hours and then let it cool over night and simmer again the next day. Just be sure to keep adding more water.